R. C. (Tino) Di Bella
Tino has been practicing law for over 35 years. He has represented clients in the British Columbia Supreme Court, various administrative tribunals, and the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
He is regularly sought out as a mediator by parties or their counsel seeking to settle litigation through mediation instead of going to court.
Clients who need practical advice on business succession planning, personal estate planning, wealth preservation, establishing or amending trusts (Family, Joint Partner, Alter Ego, Spendthrift, and Disability Trusts, etc.), creating powers of attorney and personal end-of-life planning, seek Tino's counsel.
Tino can provide assistance if you need help:
- preparing or reviewing your estate/end-of-life plan to accommodate your diverse and modern family;
- creating tax and succession plans and the creative use of life insurance for payment or protection of one or more beneficiaries;
- including in your estate planning your personal property, pensions, funds, and other assets held outside of Canada;
- setting up an incapacity plan for aging adults to avoid a Patients Property Act application;
- with an aging parent or incapacitated adult and are seeking appointment of a Committee under the Patients Property Act;
- applying to the BC Supreme Court to obtain an estate grant of a Will, or Letters of Administration;
- administering an estate;
- challenging the validity of a will;
- seeking to bring an application to the BC Supreme Court for interpreting a will, varying a trust or passing of executor/trustee Committee or Attorney Accounts;
- making a claim to rectify or vary a will under the Wills, Estates and Succession Act;
- making a restitution claim against an estate;
- removing and replacing an executor or trustee;
- starting a new business venture or expanding your current business;
- financing, buying or selling your business or property;
- dealing with commercial leases;
- dealing with matters under the Strata Property Act, including bylaw review, drafting new bylaws, enforcement of bylaws, management challenges, remediation of aging strata corporations;
- collecting debts;
- dealing with insolvency or bankruptcy matters; and
- dealing with landlord tenant matters.
Tino has served on numerous boards and committees benefitting the community and the legal profession. Having been appointed to the British Columbia Law Institute where he has been an Executive Member and Chairperson of the Board and as a BC member of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada Tino has a unique knowledge of law reform and upcoming changes in new legislation. He has worked on numerous pieces of new legislation including the Wills, Estates and Succession Act.
Tino currently contributes to the Elder Care Foundation, University of Victoria, BC Cancer Foundation, Pacific Opera Victoria, and the Belfry Theatre. He is an avid reader of 19th and 20th century history and especially enjoys biographies written about US Presidents and Canadian Prime Ministers.
Tino has received the following awards and recognition:
- 2014: The BC Branch, Canadian Bar Association President’s Medal
- 2013: The Victoria Bar Association Pamela Murray QC Award for high professional standards and service to the profession
- 2013: Recognized by the University of Victoria as an “Alumni Who Made a Difference” at a special 50th Anniversary Event for the University of Victoria in 2013
4th Floor, 1007 Fort Street
Victoria, BC, V8V 3K5
T: (250) 385-5787
F: (250) 385-4364
B.A. Hons. (History), University of Victoria (1976)
LL.B., University of Victoria (1979)
British Columbia (1980)